A fable about moms I heard when I was a kid:
Once upon a time…
There was a bunny mom. Holding her newborn baby bunny in her arms. And swaddling her back and forth. Trying to get her to stop crying.
Unbeknownst to them:
Outside their house was a wolf.
Passing by. Looking for an easy meal.
As the wolf snuck around their home, he heard the mom shout in exasperation…
“If you don’t stop crying, I’ll throw you to the wolf!”
At this the wolf perked its ears up.
And licked its lips in delight. As it patiently waited outside the house the whole day.
But wait as it might, in spite of all the baby crying it could hear throughout the day, the bunny mom never threw her baby out.
And by night:
He heard the mom say,
“There, there! Don’t cry, don’t worry. I won’t let any wolf get you! I shall kill him with my shiny new shotgun should he come anywhere near us…”
… the wolf’s face turn violent red, as he stomped away, muttering to himself saying:
“Never trust a mom’s words…”
The moral of the story?
Several I can see:
- Moms will say anything to get you to shut up.
- Be sure to look around before walking outside. You never know what’s lurking around the corner.
- Always carry a shiny new shotgun when you’re walking in woods full of wolves.
- It’s ok to be a baby sometimes. Even if you’re grown up. Your mom’ll still take care of you when you really need it.
- Learn from babies. Don’t take words to heart. People say things they don’t mean all the time.
- Listening to a kid cry all day long… for years… is tough work. Time to give your mom something special today.
Have yourself a Happy Mother’s Day!
And if you’re still putting together your last minute gift? You know where to go for the artwork:
Aurelia “Still Uneaten” Nobleia