A fan writes in with a question:
"I have come across your page and have fallen in love!! Are you open to custom designs?"
I get this question every week. And if you’ve ever wrote in asking me this, then you know the answer is…
But it reminds me of a story hubby once told me of when he was working as a graphic designer a long, long time ago.
His clients used to ask him to create these designs for them.
And after he was done, they’d take a look and go…
"Umm… I’m not sure… could you change this around, this around, this around?"
And my hubby’d reluctantly change it.
Because each progression would make the work uglier and uglier.
But when you’re working with a client, you don’t really have much choice.
And after he was done with that, he’d show the corporate client, who is a high ranking executive at a well-known company, again… and they would say…
"Umm… I’m not sure… let me ask my mom. Oh, my mom says she doesn’t like it. Could you change this around, this around, this around?"
And eventually, the design became so convoluted and full of unicorns and rainbows and kitties that my hubby would hate himself for creating it.
And that’s how he went to sleep every night.
Full of self-loathing and doubt.
Anyways, 10 other reasons why I don’t do any custom work:
1. I can’t create great art if I’m not creating something I want and like.
2. I don’t want to do stuff that doesn’t excite me.
3. I don’t want to have to change up the art I create, making it worse every time.
4. I don’t really care about money. Well, I do… a bit. But not that much.
5. I know that I’m going to procrastinate on it and take forever to finish.
6. It takes time away from other projects I’d rather do.
7. It gives me something to write about. 😉
8. Some clients are good. But some of them are mean. I don’t want to spend time filtering out the meanies.
9. I can’t really be as creative as I want to be.
10. I want to go to bed at night knowing that I did my best work.
While I don’t do custom work.
I do take suggestions. And interesting ideas.
So if you have any have ideas you’d like to see and buy in the store, feel free to send me a message and…
… if your idea strikes lightning and inspiration into my soul and fills me with divine revelations…
… I might think about it. 🙂
"Sloth Bunny No Work"